Christ’s College Finchley
There are two World War memorial plaques in the drama hall at the school. Each has about 100 names of former pupils and a few members of staff.
The First World War plaque was first planned in 1919 and in the school magazine in July 1919 it was reported that:
“A design of the memorial tablet, to cost £75, was submitted to the Annual General Meeting and approved. The tablet will consist of a centre stone of brown grained alabaster, upon which will be engraved, with a suitable inscription, the names of all old boys who made the supreme sacrifice. This will be surrounded by a wide border of red Devonian marble, and the present intention is to erect it over the clock in the big schoolroom. “
It was unveiled on 29th July 1921 when it was noted that:
“The unveiling ceremony was of short duration, lasting only about 15 minutes. Col. J R Pretyman Newman, MP, who unveiled the tablet and the Rev Preb W St John Hill Bourne who dedicated it, both made short speeches, suitable to the occasion. Unfortunately there are still two more names to be added, making a total of 98.”
The final cost of the memorial was £80-17-6d (£80.75p)
Click here to view a list and details of those named